Tuesday 15 March 2016

My kind of breakfast.... chia pudding!

It's hard to believe that growing up through school, college, and university I used to skip the most important meal of the day - breakfast. There was no reason for it really... I just wasn't hungry and I'm not the best person in the morning so it made sense to stay in bed as long as possible. Rookie error. No wonder my blood sugars were all over the place and I used to get the shakes....

It was only when I started hitting the gym a few years back (that has since stopped which of course is not at all evident *nervous laugh*) and I knew I needed to fill my body with some kind of nourishment otherwise I'd pass out (and believe me - that nearly happened on several occasions when I attempted fasted cardio.... another rookie error).

Back then it was always wholemeal toast  slathered in my favourite peanut butter (100% peanut - no added sugar or oil for me thank you) or a nourishing and filling breakfast shake made with almond milk, protein powder, banana, and of course some spinach....

Whilst I may still reach for the shake (minus the protein until I start attacking the gym like a gale force 10) my now go-to breakfast meal usually involves some kind of overnight oats, egg muffins, Greek yoghurt with fruit and chia seeds.... you get the picture. Yesterday I decided it was time to rustle up a chia seed pudding, jazz things up a bit. It's paleo, fodmap friendly, vegan, and totally delicious......



You'll need....

• 200ml of your favourite milk (I use Alpro almond milk but coconut works exceptionally well here)
• 3 tbsp chia seeds (an absolute steal in Home Bargains by the way!)
• 1/2 tbsp of pure maple syrup (not pictured! It was a last minute addition).



Mix it all together in a jar and leave for a few hours, preferably overnight. Top with whatever you would like! I chose pomegranate and some sunflower and pumpkin seeds... Delicious. Those little pomegranate seeds really made it something special; the different texture and burst of tart but sweet flavour really cut through the natural creaminess of the chia pudding.

The best part? It's perfectly suited for paleo and low-FODMAP diets. It's naturally vegan too... I shouldn't have honey whilst following this diet and I just don't really like 'real' milk (plus lactose is a no no anyway). It packs in your protein, your good fats, and your fibre, so it ticks a lot of boxes.....♡ Perfect.

With love, xo

No comments:

Post a Comment