Saturday 12 March 2016

When one door closes, another one opens...

“When one door closes another door opens, but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us.”
- Alexander Graham Bell



As humans we appear to have an uncanny ability of dwelling on the past and being unable to let go, I've been there. I know. Because of that dwelling, because of that concentration, we often fail to see those new opportunities, those new open doors that may be right in front of our very eyes. As clear as a summer's day. Unfortunately it is a lot easier for us to focus on the negatives - the closed door - than to turn our attention to those better things in life, but there is absolutely no reason to let the past shape your future - after all, you are in charge of your own destiny.

I've been there and, even now writing this, I'm still not 100% convinced that I can practice what I preach. I'm terrible for it, in fact, I dwell on past events like there's no tomorrow. Now, there's no harm in thinking about the past, but as soon as it starts to have an effect on your future - well, that's when things have to change. This is where I've changed.

I've made a lot of mistakes in the past - I mean, who hasn't? We're only human and it is bound to happen. Accepting that it has happened, accepting that there is no changing the past, making a mental note to not make that same mistake again, and then moving forward is key.

I'm no stranger to new changes, new starts, or sudden bursts of optimism where feel I could scream at the top of my lungs, "life begins now". I'm sick of dwelling on the past so I'm ready to pull the plug on that. It's a chilly Saturday afternoon, I've done all of the bits and bobs I needed to do and I'm preparing myself for a night of 'ME' whilst the mother goes off to see a friend. Precious me time is important and I haven't had it for a while... I've got lined up a delicious toasted sesame tofu stirfry, FODMAP and meat free might I add, an ice cold bottle of Leffe, a bubble bath with my wonderful Lush treats, and I couldn't be more excited.

I've got plenty to be thankful for. Yes, I'm possibly not where I want to be in life at the moment. I'd have thought that by 25 (...and a half) I'd have a lot more going for me but it doesn't always work like that, does it? I'm ready to reconnect with the people I've pushed out for various reasons (coping mechanism - I'm guilty for this!), treat my body and mind with the love and respect they deserve, and venture back into the sunshine.

So, here's a big goodbye to the past and worrying about what is going to happen based on those past events because, well, face it, yesterday is old news and why on earth would we want to relive the same old adventure?

[Little Fish ♡]

No comments:

Post a Comment