Monday 4 April 2016

LittleFishFood: How do you like your eggs in the morning? [Low FODMAP baked eggs]

Sunday is supposed to be the day of rest, right? Not in my house. Sunday is characteristically spent doing all of the little odds and ends that Saturday just didn't produce.... Namely the cooked goods. I wholeheartedly take part in what I call 'Domestic Sundays', I break away from the mould and ensure my Sunday is as productive as can be. Face it, the following day is *whispers* Monday (terrible word - I know - and today feels like it has been the slowest Monday on record) and nothing gets me ready for the bustling week ahead than getting my life together on that last day. What better way to attack the day than to rise and shine, coffee at hand, and a bowl (I told you I'm obsessed with bowls lately) of some truly nourishing and filling grub.

I absolutely adore baked eggs. I remember chowing down to two delicious dishes - one with a creamy base and the other a tomato base - at a little cafe in Hobart, Tasmania called Raspberry Fool. I've recreated them both a number of times (and they were utterly delicious) but now I'm an officially FODMAPer (started the strict elimination diet on 02/04/2016) I definitely won't be indulging in a) cream or b) the onion and garlic filled tomato one. What a pity.

Yesterday, to prep myself for the busy day again, I rustled up a hearty bowl of baked eggs teaming with goodness, protein, and a good kick of chilli and paprika. Guess what? No onion/garlic in sight...

Baked eggs: FODMAP edition.



· 1 tbsp of garlic infused oil
· 2 spring onions (green only)
· 1 leek (green only)
· 1 can of tomato (plus ¼ of the can with water)
· 5 fresh cherry tomatoes, halved (optional)
· ½ of a red pepper, chopped (1cm chunks)
· Small bunch of basil and parsley, finely chopped
· 1 tsp paprika
· 1 tsp chilli powder
· 4 medium free-range eggs
· Plenty of salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the spring onions and leeks, add the chopped red pepper and halved tomatoes and cook until softened.

Add the can of tomatoes and fill the can with some water to create some extra juice (make sure your tomatoes are just plain old tomatoes, no added onion or garlic)

Add your chilli and paprika and stir well, throw in the chopped herbs and let the sauce simmer for 5-10 minutes on a medium light to let it thicken.

Make four little wells in the sauce (if you can – I failed miserably here) and crack in your four eggs. Simmer for a little while on the hob and either add a lid (if your pan has one) or throw in the oven until your eggs finish cooking. The whites should be cooked but your yolk still runny. Mine ended up a little on the hard side so this is all going to be a bit of an experiment with timing...



I served mine with some chopped chives and half of a gluten-free pitta bread.



Enjoy! ♡

No comments:

Post a Comment